Only a Quarter of Sealaska Shareholders Have a Testamentary On File with Sealaska
Only 27% of all Sealaska shareholders have a testamentary on file. Please help us ensure you and your family have a completed or updated document on file.
Q: What is a Testamentary?
A: When completed, a Testamentary is a directive from Sealaska shareholders to the Corporation, on who will receive your Sealaska shares after your death. A Testamentary is not a complete personal will, but will direct us on your wishes for your Sealaska shares.
Q: What happens if a Sealaska shareholder does not have a Testamentary on file?
A: Sealaska will then have to comply with Alaska Statutes governing intestate succession in AS 13.12.102 and 103 and this will determine who will receive your shares.
What Type of Stock Can be Gifted or Inherited?
- Class A (Village Shareholders)
- Class B (Urban Shareholders)
- Class C (At-Large Shareholders)
Learn more about Sealaska Stock Classifications here.
Steps to Complete a Testamentary
- Obtain a form from Sealaska offices in Juneau or download and print from here.
- Fill out the form. Please note, you cannot will shares in fractions. For example, if you have 100 shares and there are three “equal” beneficiaries, you could state that two people will receive 33 shares and one person will receive 34. Of course, any combination will be acceptable, as long as it's not a fraction of a share.
- Review your form, and ensure you didn’t miss anything.
- Take your completed form to a notary to sign, date and finalize. If you are in Juneau, AK, the Sealaska Shareholder Relations team can notarize your document. Other places to find a notary, include Village Corporation offices or a banking institution.
- Return completed form to Shareholder Relations department in Juneau or mail to Shareholder Relations, One Sealaska Plaza, Suite 400, Juneau, AK, 99801.
Please remember the Sealaska Shareholder Relations team can assist you to properly complete, sign and have notarized the Testamentary form.
You May be Eligible for MySealaska Prize Drawing
If you are an existing registered MySealaska user or a new MySealaska user, that is registered by December 1, 2017, you will be automatically entered into a drawing for prizes.
We are offering prizes to help bring awareness to MySealaska (shareholder portal) and to increase use of this “self-help” shareholder tool. We are also interested in increasing the number of shareholders who have a testamentary on file with Sealaska, to address inheritance of shareholder stock.
How to Enter Drawing for Prizes
- If you are an existing registered user with MySealaska.com, you are automatically entered
- If you register with MySealaska.com by December 1, 2017 by 5pm, you will be automatically entered
- If you are registered with direct deposit by December 1, 2017, shareholders will have their name entered a second time
- Shareholders who have a Testamentary (Stock will) on file or an updated Testamentary by December 1, 2017 will have their name entered in the drawing a third time
Learn what the cash prizes are and other details about the MySealaska Prize Drawing by clicking here.
- Click here to learn about MySealaska.com
- Click here to learn more about a Testamentary
- Click here to download and print the Testamentary form
- Click here to view details about MySealaska Prize Draw
- Click here to view Alaska Statute 13.12.102
- Click here to view Alaska Statute 13.12.103
Shareable Link: https://www.sealaska.com/news/item/2017-10-24/only-quarter-sealaska-shareholders-have-testamentary-file-sealaska