Drilling Field Team Lead - Geologist/Scientist
Location: Los Alamos, NM Posted: Monday, October 24, 2022
Overview Apply for this job
STS is currently seeking an experienced Drilling Field Team Lead - Geologist/Scientist. While working to achieve N3B LLCC objectives, will ensure all activities and operations are performed in a safe and deliberate manner; will maintain required safety, security and operational training; assure procedural and regulatory compliance; and make safety and security an integral part of every task; including taking the necessary steps to stop work if continuing the job is unsafe or compromises security. You must reside with the US for this federal partnership and must be a US Citizen.
Drilling Program Duties/Responsibilities (may include, but are not limited to):
- Oversee drilling activities including preparation of boring logs and evaluation of soil cores, acting as site ESH & QA representative
- Oversee the subcontractor on well refurbishment, aquifer testing, wellhead completions and abandonment, acting as site ESH & QA representative.
- Review and track subcontractor daily reports, and support safety quality audits and findings to confirm subcontractor compliance.
Essential Duties/Responsibilities (may include, but are not limited to):
- Support the preparation of the Project Readiness Process Procedure, Project Preparedness, Field Implementation Plan and other required documents.
- Coordinate with ER Operations support team for site access, permitting and event notification.
- Maintain detailed technical logbook records of all field activities.
- Provides construction support including RFI responses, DCNs as applicable, and preparation of completion reports for each project assigned.
- Coordinate waste management support.
- Coordinate sampling in support of site characterization and waste characterization.
- Supports development of required reports.
- Provides oversight and random audits of the subcontractors.
- Complies with all health & safety policies and practices.
- Broad understanding of principles, concepts and techniques in the field of general science.
- Skill and ability to perform complex professional tasks independently with little instruction.
- Ability to work within established policies and procedures, using independent judgment and ingenuity.
- Ability to train and mentor more junior staff.
- Level of language skills, mathematical skills, communication skills, reasoning ability and computer skills necessary to perform essential functions of the job.
- Ability to work in a team oriented project environment.
- Familiarity with the LANL site and work environment preferred.
- Employment for this position will be subject to all relevant laws, regulations, orders, and the like and may require full vaccination against COVID-19, weekly testing, or other precautionary measures.
Education and Experience Required:
- Bachelor's degree in Geology, Engineering, Science, or related technical discipline, or equivalent; however, a combination of education and relevant experience wherein the knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the position’s duties and responsibilities have been adequately demonstrated is acceptable.
- The career level of the position will be determined by the years of relevant experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities; after a candidate has been chosen.
- Must be a US citizen to be considered.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements (Light Work):
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
Light Work Category - Physical demand requirements are in excess of those for sedentary work. The employee exerts up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to handle or feel, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision. During drilling and well maintenance work on site, work often moves to a 7day/12hr (day & night) shift schedule in order to cover 24/7 drilling.
- This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; and nothing in this herein restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
- In this position the qualified candidate may support one of more of the following departments, Drilling and Well Maintenance, Groundwater Monitoring, and/or Remediation Operations.
- The qualified candidate may be required to attain and maintain a DOE Q clearance.
- Individuals must be able to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Individual must pass a pre-employment drug screen and accept all company policies. This position may require a physical fit-for-duty screen as well,
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and we do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, sexual orientation, or age.