Makerspace Instructors (SHI)
Location: Juneau, AK Posted: Monday, September 19, 2022
Overview Apply for this job
The objective of this position is to plan and deliver workshops at the SHI Makerspace. The selected candidate will have cultural knowledge related to subsistence and/or NW Coast Arts. SHI Makerspace Instructors will work with the Makerspace Coordinator to design engaging activities and programming that use the 21st century tools available in the SHI Makerspace to engage students in culturally relevant hands-on lessons.
- Develop and organize innovative Culturally Relevant STEAM programming in the Makerspace with the SHI STEAM Team staff and outside partners.
- Responsible for adapting and delivering Makerspace activities in communities around SE Alaska.
- Work with SHI School and Summer Program Coordinator to schedule community visits and travel for off-site events.
- Provide guidance for SE Alaska teachers on adapting Makerspace activities for classroom use.
- Meet quarterly with the Makerspace Advisory Committee to discuss general learning goals and outcomes of the SHI Makerspace Activities.
- Knowledge of Southeast Alaska Native culture and Southeast Alaska’s communities
- Experience working with middle school youth
- Lifelong learner with a passion for creativity and innovation
- Demonstrated effective verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to assist to coordinate activities with attention to detail
This position will have no direct reports.
This position’s duties are performed at the Walter Soboleff Building. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to verbally communicate. This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, and climbing all day. The employee must frequently lift and/or move objects up to 20 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 50 pounds.
POSITION TYPE AND EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
This position can be offered as a part-time or full-time position. Hours will vary significantly depending on program scheduling and travel.
Regular travel to the SE Communities of Angoon, Craig, Hoonah, Klawock, Sitka, and Wrangell is expected.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High School Diploma
- Three years of administrative experiences or equivalent office experience.
- Demonstrable skill using Excel in a professional capacity.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- 2 years of professional work in the education
- 5+ years’ experience in a project-related field (e.g. carving, ethnobotany, cooking)
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.