Certificates Information

In order to complete the life estate stock application, you will need original birth certificates and an original Certificate of Indian Blood (CIB).

How do I get a Certificate of Indian Blood (CIB)?

A CIB can be obtained through the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA). You will need to contact the BIA office and have a certificate request form mailed to you. The office can tell you whether you need to provide just your birth certificate, or your Indian parents' or Indian grandparents' birth certificates as well.

BIA Alaska Regional Office (Juneau)
P.O. Box 25520
709 West 9th Street
Juneau, AK 99802
toll-free 800.645.8397
fax 907.586.7064

BIA Alaska Regional Office (Anchorage)
3601 C Street, Suite 1100
Anchorage, AK 99503-5947
toll-free 800.645.8465
fax 907.271.4090

Please note: You can fax the BIA only to request forms. Completed CIB forms require original signatures, so completed forms will NOT be accepted via fax. Fill out your forms and then mail them to the appropriate office.

How do I get an original certified birth certificate?

You can obtain a certified birth certificate from your state’s Bureau of Vital Statistics. An applicant that is adopted must establish they are 1/4 or more Alaska Indian blood quantum through the applicant’s biological parent(s). The blood quantum requirements cannot be satisfied via the adoptive parent(s).

Bureau of Vital Statistics
Dept. of Health and Social Services
5441 Commercial Blvd.
Juneau, AK 99801
phone 907.465.3391
fax 907.465.3618

California Dept. of Health Services
M.S. 5103
P.O. Box 997410
Sacramento, CA 95899
phone 916.445.2684
fax 800.858.5553

Oregon Vital Records
800 NE Oregon Street, Suite 205
P.O. Box 14050
Portland, OR 97293
phone 971.673.1190
fax 503.234.8417

Washington Dept. of Health
Center for Health Statistics
P.O. Box 9709
Olympia, WA 98507-9709
info 360.236.4300
orders 360.236.4313
fax 360.352.2586

Information for all other states can be found at: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w.htm