CARES Act Application Update – 11:10 a.m. Alaska Time
Monday, October 4, 2021
Sealaska and Tlingit & Haida have received thousands of applications already today for the $500 benefit available through our joint CARES Act distribution program.
There was a period of time this morning when the online application was down. It has been fixed now, so if you tried unsuccessfully to apply earlier and received an “error” message, please try again.
Some primary issues this morning include:
- The phone number designated for Elders or shareholders without Internet access to apply over the phone was not working for most of the morning, but it is now. Please call 907-463-7750 if you do not have internet access or are an Elder or anyone else needing assistance to complete your application.
- The document you upload to support your application does not need to add up to $500. You only need to upload one supporting document.
- There is a comprehensive list of expenses that count toward documenting your financial impact on page one of the application. When you move to the second page, there are fewer options provided (just rent, mortgage or utilities) where it asks you to upload your document. All of the expense types on page one count. The application will be updated soon to reflect this. If you uploaded a receipt for childcare, medical expenses, Internet upgrades, etc., please rest assured this is okay and will not result in disqualification. (See picture at left.)
- When your application has been successfully submitted, you will see a confirmation box in red on the page. You will not receive an email confirmation. If you’d like, you can take a screenshot of the confirmation page. (See picture at right.)
Still have questions?
We are receiving a high volume of calls and emails with questions today, and are doing our best to respond to them. Please review the information above and check the Q&A published here to see if your questions have been answered before calling or emailing.
Gunalchéesh, Háw’aa, T’oyaxsut ‘nüüsm
Looking for more CARES Act information from Sealaska? Please see the following previous stories:
- Q&A on Sealaska’s CARES Act Distribution in Partnership with Tlingit & Haida – Oct. 3, 2021
- Sealaska to Partner with Tlingit & Haida to Distribute CARES Act Funds – Sept. 30, 2021
- Sealaska’s $4.2 Million CARES Act Allocation: Part of a Larger Pool of Funding to Benefit Southeast Alaska Natives – Aug. 31, 2021
- Q&A on the Supreme Court’s CARES Act Ruling – June 25, 2021
Language efforts and the Board Youth Advisor program took center stage at the first board meeting of the year. At a board meeting held on Friday, Jan. 27, Sealaska’s Board of Directors approved a one-time $250,000 increase in funding for language programming from the Sealaska language fund, bringing this year’s contribution to $750,000. The fund, …
As part of our ongoing efforts to connect with shareholders like you on important issues, Sealaska invites you to complete our 2023 Shareholder Engagement Survey. This survey is vital to understanding your priorities and meeting your expectations for how Sealaska engages with shareholders. To take the survey, please visit www.sealaskasurvey.com to complete the survey online. You can …
Since the elimination of the blood quantum requirement in June 2022, Sealaska has welcomed over 2,100 new shareholders. Sealaska hosted a virtual shareholder orientation to provide our new shareholders with more information on Sealaska, as well as what to expect as a shareholder moving forward. Board Chair Joe Nelson served as the host and was joined …
Sealaska shareholders are now able to view and download their IRS Form 1099-DIV for 2022. Printed 1099 tax forms will be mailed on or before Jan. 27.
“Molly of Denali” is one of the biggest shows on PBS — so big that it was recently nominated for the Children’s and Family Emmys in two categories: Outstanding Preschool Animated Series and Outstanding Writing for a Preschool Animated Program. The team behind that outstanding writing includes four Sealaska shareholders: Frank Henry Kaash Katasse, Vera …