Codefy Training and Internship Creates New Opportunities for Rural Workforce Entrants
Thursday, November 17, 2022
Applications are now open for the Codefy program, a new training and internship program offered by Sealaska. Sealaska is partnering with Codefy to empower young adults with the skills needed to succeed in high-demand technology careers – without a college education. The program features a twelve-week course of remote training classes beginning in February. Upon completion of the training, successful participants will take part in a 10-week remote internship beginning in June.
“This program is unique in meeting the needs of high school graduates in our villages and outlying communities who aren’t currently pursuing college, for whatever reason,” said Sealaska’s Shareholder Development program manager Kayla Roberts. “By laying a strong foundation in programming, coupled with on-the-job experience through the internship portion, this program will really help create a pathway to high-paying remote work for young people, especially in rural communities.”
Codefy offers participants the education needed to thrive in a programming career at no cost. Participants will:
- Learn Java, responsive web design, Agile, Scrum, databases, and SQL.
- Receive individual attention in small classes.
- Earn industry-recognized credentials.
After successfully completing the training, they will receive a paid, fully remote internship with Sealaska’s IT department, where they will practice the skills learned in the course in a supportive, hands-on environment.
“The course work is rigorous, but it is meant to provide a preview of what it is really like to be in the tech industry,” said Sabina Rajasundaram, Founder and CEO of Codefy. “You will be supported all along the way, and we also focus on leadership and soft-skills development.”
Rajasundaram is passionate about sharing her software development skills and knowledge with young adults, with a special focus on Native American and Alaska Native communities. Codefy is a social impact venture started in Arizona that provides training in software development and non-traditional pathways to entry-level tech jobs for young adults.
“This partnership will help broaden what we have to offer young shareholders and descendants,” said Roberts. “We know that that the path to a successful career looks different for everyone, and we want to make sure that the opportunities that Sealaska offers reflect the diversity we value in our communities.”
To learn more and apply, visit https://mysealaska.com/Opportunities/Codefy. Space is limited, so we encourage you to apply early! Applications will be accepted until Jan. 8, 2023. The twelve-week training portion of the program will begin on Feb. 13, 2023, with the ten-week internship portion beginning on June 12, 2023.
To qualify for the Codefy program, participants must be:
- 18-26 years old.
- A Sealaska shareholder or descendant from a shareholder.
- A high school graduate or have received their GED.
- Must be committed to attending the full 22-weeks of training and the internship.
- Authorized to work in the United States.
- Not currently enrolled in post-secondary education.
- Application deadline: Jan. 8, 2023
- Training begins: Feb. 13, 2023
- 12-weeks of online training classes
- Monday-Thursday, 7:30 – 11 a.m. AKST
- Internship begins: June 12, 2023
- 10-week remote internship
- Travel to connect with Sealaska’s summer intern cohort recommended, but not required