Codefy: Software Development Training and Technology Internship
Sealaska has partnered with Codefy to train young adults and create jobs in software programming. Codefy’s mission is to create a diverse workforce for the tech industry by empowering young adults from underserved communities because their perspectives, experiences and abilities are valuable.
Applications for our Spring 2024 session are now open! Apply below by January 15, 2024, 11:59pm AKT.Sealaska sees the value in building a pathway for shareholders, especially those in rural communities, to high-paying remote opportunities like those available in the tech industry. Partnering with Codefy has allowed Sealaska’s Shareholder Development department to broaden its offerings, investing in career opportunities and workforce training for those whose current path does not include college.
With Codefy, young shareholders and descendants can forge a path in programming from their home community, or anywhere they choose, empowering more young people to stay in (or return to) Alaska while building high-demand skills and connecting with opportunities in the tech industry. Participants in the program receive industry-recognized credentials and learn programming with Java, Agile, Scrum, databases, and SQL.
Training and Internship:Application for training course is due January 15, 2024, 11:59pm AKT.
- Upon acceptance to the program, participants will be asked to complete pre-course work to assess current skills (typing, coding, Excel).
- Space is limited, so apply early! Applications are reviewed as they are submitted.
- 12-week no cost software development training focused on Java, Responsive Web Design, SQL, fundamentals of databases, Agile/Scrum, introduction to Cloud Computing, soft skills, workplace success skills and mentoring.
- See Codefy technical curriculum here.
- Participants can expect homework to complete each week in additional to time spent in class.
- Internship is dependent on successful completion of training and availability of internship opportunities with employers. Stipends may be provided.
- 18-29 years old
- Sealaska shareholder or descendant from a shareholder
- High school diploma or GED
- Authorized to work in the United States
- Preferred: this program is aimed at people not currently enrolled in post-secondary education or college.
- Upload your high school transcript showing proof of graduation. OR, upload proof of GED completion.
- Confirm that you are at least 18 years old by the program start date.
- Upload a current resume
- Upload one letter of recommendation
- In about 500 words, please express your education and career goals and how the Codefy program can help you achieve them. Also, please feel free to discuss barriers you have faced and/or overcome in your education journey.