Forms & Procedures
Life Estate Enrollment
Important Message Regarding Descendants Born Before December 18, 1971Sealaska cannot issue stock to descendants who were born before December 18, 1971 who are less than 1/4 Alaska Native unless the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (ANCSA) is amended to authorize a new class of shares and another shareholder vote.
We would need the support of other ANCSA regional corporations to make this happen. That is highly unlikely, as half of them have not authorized descendant stock at all.
For the foreseeable future, descendants born before December 18, 1971 whose blood quantum is less than one quarter will need to rely on the gifting program and inheritance of original shares.
Please read the following carefully:
Sealaska has three classes of Life Estate Stock. This is stock that ceases to exist when the shareholder passes away. It cannot be gifted or inherited.
Class D – Descendant Stock - For applicants born after December 18, 1971 who are descendants of original Sealaska shareholders
Class L – Left-outs Stock - For applicants born on or before December 18, 1971
Class E – Elders Stock
Sealaska will notify shareholders who are eligible for Class E Elders Stock. These are original Sealaska shareholders who have reached the age of 65.
To apply for Class D or Class L Sealaska stock you must:
- Be eligible (see below)
- Complete the online application
Be sure to upload all supporting documents, including your
- Original birth certificate
- Current state ID
- If you were born on or before December 18, 1971, you must also upload your Certificate of Indian Blood (CIB) - must be issued from the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA)
For more information about these documents, please visit our Certificates page.
Additional Document RequirementsIn addition to uploading a state ID and birth certificate, if your name on those documents does not match what we have on file, you will also need to upload any name change documents - such as a marriage certificate
If you do not upload these additional documents, the processing of your application may be delayed
Individuals are eligible for Class D stock (also known as descendant stock) if they meet all of the following requirements:
- Were born after December 18, 1971
- Are 18 years of age or older
Are lineal descendants of an original Sealaska shareholder
(meaning a direct descendant such as a child or grandchild, etc.)
- Are United States citizens
- Are not shareholders of another ANCSA Regional Corporation (except by gifting or inheritance)
Individuals are eligible for Class L stock (also known as Left-outs stock) if they meet the following requirements:
- Were born on or before December 18, 1971, and are still living
- Were eligible to enroll in Sealaska Corporation in 1971 (pursuant to ANCSA) but were not so enrolled
- Are “Native” as defined by ANCSA
- Are at least 1/4 Alaska Native
- Are not currently enrolled in Sealaska Corporation, or any other ANCSA Regional Corporation (except by gifting or inheritance), or the Metlakatla Indian Community
If you have any questions regarding enrollment or the life estate stock application, please visit our FAQs page. Or you can call toll-free at 800.848.5921 ext. 298 and a Sealaska representative will assist you.
APPLY FOR LIFE ESTATE STOCK
To apply, login to MySealaska first